Ancient Egyptians believed that upon death they would be asked two questions and their answers would determine whether they could continue their journey in the afterlife.  
The first question was, "Did you bring joy?"  
The second was, "Did you find joy?"

Monday, May 5, 2008

"In the morning by the station, in the evening by the sea."

Thats what Massimo the owner of The Blue Marlin Cafe said to me last night as I sauntered to the water at sunset. "You look lika you belong here, you have de rydem of this place."

He is right. Being in Vernazza is, for me, like being carried around in a warm pocket, cozy and comfortable.

I want to tell you about all the souls I know now, Antonio and Michelle, Valerian, Enrico, Penelope. These people who say, "Caio" to me as I walk through the town. Even the people whose names I don't know, but who recognize me, we nod, we exchange "buenaserra"s. There is swimming in the sea and walking through the olive groves, there are wild cats, like me, who roam the streets.

But once again, I leave you hanging. It is my last evening in town. The sun is thinking about lowering into the sea, the wine is being poured. My mother and sister go home tomorrow and I go onto Florence, then Rome. After, the cooler climbs of Northern Ireland. I see now that this blog is going to be a series of teasers, then when I return, I will spend the summer writing all the stories on my computer that sit safely in my heart and my journal, waiting for a comfortable chair and a free computer to ease the transition onto this webpage.

Bear with me, the time will arrive sooner than I can imagine it. In the meantime, I go out into the winding comfortable streets, and walk comfortably to the sea.

No comments: