Ancient Egyptians believed that upon death they would be asked two questions and their answers would determine whether they could continue their journey in the afterlife.  
The first question was, "Did you bring joy?"  
The second was, "Did you find joy?"

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Adieu, Fort Cochin.

I am sitting in the Ramada Resort after nine wonderful hours of sleep in a soft bed with plenty of pillows. It's like a dream here of another life.

I even had dreams I was sleeping so well.

One dream I remember: My mom and I were going to get on a train here in India and the line was a bit ambiguous.  Mom unintentionally skipped a few people in trying to figure it out.  I said, "Mom, we are back here."  The Indian man who was last in line before us noticed and when we got into place he offered his hand to me.  I took it.  Then everyone in line started to take hands. My Mom and I held hands.  She took the hand of the man who had come up behind her.  We were linked.  Linked to India.  The man who held my hand smiled at me, a deep, knowing smile, a smile that spoke of ages and ages of history behind his eyes.  There was no letting go.

I'm off in a few hours for the backwaters.  Before I go, I thought I'd get my Fort Cochin pictures up.  There's A LOT of the Kathakali at two different points as I went twice and I wanted to document it for theater folks back home.  The make-up process is fascinating.  But, I get it if it isn't so interesting for everyone!  Go Here for the pics.

I hope you glide easily and peacefully through your weekends, as I hope to do here!


1 comment:

auntiemao said...

"Thanks for the wonderful photo essay on Kathakali!" says Mr. B. and I offer my thanks for it and the rest of the photos, particularly the loom shots!!!! Oh, how sweet of you to take them and how beautiful. Happy and safe travels....xo....K & M